When a dog loves, it loves unconditionally.
There had been stories in which a dog had risked its own life for the safety of others. And the following story is one of them.
Nellie is a pit bull that was saved by the Final Frontier Rescue Project from a high-kill California shelter back in 2014. It is just 1-year-old when all of this happened and the Texas rescue organization who saved it brought it to Austin where it was shuffled from shelter to shelter for years.
Jane Taylor, on the other hand, has been fostering dogs for so long. She fostered Nellie five years after it was saved from California.
The dog has a traumatizing past as it was terrified of loud noises and unfamiliar places. It is overweight and sick and is shy to people and other animals.
Jane started doing runs with Nellie since it is overweight and to show it’s true form. “Nellie came to me a little bit chubby, which made her super cute. We called her our little potato sack.”, Jane said.
Six months after, Jane and her friend Michael took Nellie to hike. This is where Nellie showed its foster mom how far it had improved from being a shy and fearful dog to a courageous one.
While walking in a remote route on their way back to the car, Jane heard a sound that resembles to a sound a rattlesnake makes and went frozen on her feet instantly. She saw a flash of white before even having the chance to turn and run.
The flash of white was Nellie. It burst past Jane and attacked the poisonous snake immediately.
“When Nellie ran over, it was almost as if she was on it saying, ‘I got this one, Mom — keep going.’”, Jane added.
Nellie fought the snake and had a bite in the face. Michael acted fast and threw a jacket over the snake and then dragging it away from Nellie.
The pup lied on the ground, unresponsive. Jane and her friend immediately picked up Nellie and rushed it to the vet.
Nellie’s eyes were closed, its mouth open, and its head is tilted back while in the car on their way to the vet.
“She wasn’t ‘awooing’ in pain, but you could tell she was unhappy. I knew that I had to get her to the vet as quickly as possible.”, Jane described.
Nellie received treatment and two vials of antivenom and antibiotics for the snake bite. It was put on bed rest and fortunately, is recovering quickly.
With this brave story of Nellie, Jane is hoping that this will help Nellie to finally find its forever home. Jane will surely remember this amazing dog all her life because of its bravery.
“She’s been decompressing and is finally understanding how fun life can be. Whenever we have visitors over at the house she just goes bonkers. When dogs come over, she’s realizing that it’s playtime. She has tons of toys so she’s not so possessive anymore.”, Jane said.